Please note: Although this is a beginning level event, you still must be in excellent physical condition and able to hike at 9000 feet elevation comfortable. We will go from Long Valley to Round Valley and possibly to Wellman's Divide, above 9,000 feet.
You will need to have a snowshoe for this event or rent one, (REI/Spot Chalet, etc). (There is additional list of gears listed below, please read.) I will provide further info when necessary or closer to the event day. Anyone participating will be considered has the physical capacity and in good health for what they are doing. Any doubts or questions, email me. This is an absolutely no whining trip!
We will rest in the tram stationâ€™s restaurant/bar before heading back. (We will hang out there as long as people are getting me free beer.) An optional dinner stop in Palm Springs is possible prior to coming back.
Carpooling is strongly encouraged. Bring a two-way radio, if you have one, otherwise no big deal. There will be a $22 cost for the tram, (there is a AAA discount).
Day's Activities Will Involve:
- Making teams and snowball fight until one side gives up or somebody get hurt...
- Snowman (or snowwomen) building contest,
- Snow angel making contest,
- Building snow shelters (equipment allowing),
Note: Loosing team(s) will buy the drinks to winning teams.
Gears must have:
- Snowshoes (You can rent them, if you donâ€™t have one).
- Waterproof boots + extra pair of socks- Gaiters (w/o them, snow will creep into your boots, and leave your feet cold). If you don't have gaiters, think about improvising some with trash bags and duct tape. (This is an important item)
- Weatherproof clothing (LAYERS-Avoid cotton)
- Gloves, Beanie
- Lunch, water
Very good idea to have gears:
- Snow shovel
- Ski or trekking poles